This is the time of year where many people look forward to the feast of Thanksgiving, the gathering of family, and the holiday sales that follow. Families are busy planning how best to cook their turkey, who will make the best cranberries, stuffing, or pumpkin pie, and where everyone should sit when they invade your home on Thanksgiving. But what about the families who can’t afford such a feast?
The Quad Cities community offers many options each year, both for families who can’t afford the fixings to put together for feast and for people to give their time to help provide and serve these meals. If you are looking for an opportunity to volunteer or need a meal on Thanksgiving, here are a few opportunities.
- Martin Luther King Community Center, located at 630 Martin Luther King Drive (9th Street) in Rock Island, annually holds a dinner the Sunday before Thanksgiving from 11am-2pm. Call (309) 792-2999 for more details and volunteer information.
- Friendly House, located at 1221 N. Myrtle Street in Davenport will host their annual Thanksgiving dinner at noon on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Entertainment and photos are also a part of this annual event. They can be reached at (563) 323-1821.
- Riverside United Methodist Church is hosting their 2nd Annual Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day. Their location is 712 16th Street in Moline. Contact (309) 764-6721 for more information.
- Thanksgiving (Bob Vogelbaugh) holds an annual community Thanksgiving Dinner on Thanksgiving Day at Southpark Mall in Moline from 4-6:30pm. Due to the new construction, this year’s dinner may be held at a different location. Watch your local news channels and publications for location and volunteer opportunities.
- Christian Care center located at 2209 3rd Ave, Rock Island, holds an annual Thanksgiving meal from 12-2pm on Thanksgiving Day. Call (309) 786-5734 for more information and volunteer opportunities.
Other annual events for the community to participate in are:
- Quad City Arts Festival of Trees 2014, which runs from Nov 20th through Nov 30th at the River Center Complex in Davenport. Cost for this event ranges from $3-$10.
- Festival of Trees Holiday Parade 2014 will be held on Saturday, Nov 22nd at 10:30am. It starts on the corner of 3rd Street and Pershing Avenue in Downtown Davenport and is a free event.
- Scott County Family Y Turkey Trot 2014 offers a chance to stretch your legs on “Turkey Day.” Several options are available for the whole family to participate and begins Thanksgiving morning, Nov 27th at 8:30am. The location is 606 West 2nd Street in Davenport, and the cost for this event ranges from $27-$37.
- Harvest Hustle is a student organized event to raise money for King’s Harvest in Davenport. The Harvest Hustle is a 5k Run/Walk located at Sheridan Meadows Park in Eldridge, Iowa on Sat., Nov 29th at 12pm. Cost is $30 and registration is open through Nov 28th. Go to HarvestHustle.weebly.com for registration and more information.