Eating on a budget doesn’t mean you have to limit your options. While macaroni and cheese is inexpensively sold for quick meals, it can be better. Here are three variations of mac n cheese, without the powder package, to add delight to your taste buds and your budget.
1/3 cup pasta
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Note: (I mixed shredded swiss and parmesan as well)
Optional: 1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine
1. Combine pasta and water in large mug or bowl.
2. Microwave pasta in 1-minute intervals, stirring after each minute to check noodle consistency. The water should be absorbed and the noodles should be soft after about 4 minutes of this.
3. Add in cheese and milk, and stir. (Optional: add melted butter here to make your mac slightly creamier.)
4. Put pasta back in microwave for 1 minute, stir thoroughly, and enjoy!
Easy Mac & Cheese – the better way
1 lb of pasta (macaroni or shell)
8 oz of shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
Milk – just a little
Pat of butter
Handful of italian seasoned bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Follow directions on pasta box to cook pasta.
3. Strain pasta and transfer into a cooking pan.
4. Mix in cheese, butter, milk and bread crumbs. Feel free to put extra cheese on top.
5. Put the pan into the oven and wait until cheese on top is melted and slightly browned on the sides.
6. Take out of the oven, add salt and pepper to taste. You can bring this mac and cheese to the next level by adding vegetables and mixing cheeses for a full-blown meal. Bon appétit!
Mac cheese cupcakes Servings: 12 ‘cupcakes’
8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add macaroni. Let noodles boil for 6-8 minutes.
4. Drain water and return cooked macaroni to the pot.
5. Add cheese and mix until cheese is melted.
6. Mix the eggs and the milk together, and pour into cheesy macaroni mixture.
7. Scoop mixture into muffin tins and sprinkle with more cheese and breadcrumbs.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
9. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
For more mac n cheese variations go to http://college.usatoday.com/2015/03/28/15-homemade-mac-and-cheese-recipes-you-need-in-your-life/