“Sex+” Explores Campus Rape Issue

Laci Green, a young YouTuber who recently hit one million followers, visited Augustana College on Sept. 16 for her nation-wide tour of sexual education presentations. Green began her YouTube career in 2008 and has now posted over one hundred and fifty videos covering a multitude of sex and gender subjects. Continue reading ““Sex+” Explores Campus Rape Issue”

Local Theatre Produces “Sweet” New Musical

This June, The District Theatre in Rock Island debuted a brand new musical experience called “Big Rock Candy Mountain.” Tristan Tapscott, a bluegrass and folk loving local theatre artist, directed, produced and wrote this original story. The story, set in the depression-era, begins as a group of escaped convicts find their way into a locked theatre only to be greeted by a packed house. Continue reading “Local Theatre Produces “Sweet” New Musical”

QCA looking to become part of medical marijuana industry

Black Hawk College still maintains a zero tolerance policy.

As of January 1, 2014, medical marijuana is now legal in Illinois. Governor Pat Quinn and his administration are seeking ways to sanction medical marijuana and keep it out of the black market. Rock Island County is currently looking at possible sites to grow and distribute the marijuana. Continue reading “QCA looking to become part of medical marijuana industry”

Revitalizing Rock Island, One Happy Customer at a Time

Black Hawk Student Enjoys Startup Success at ‘Good Karma’

Lindsay O’Brien knows a thing or two about time management. Part-time Black Hawk College student by morning, full-time storeowner of Good Karma Shirt Co. by day, the 21-year-old Moline native makes a beeline for her small business at the corner of 2 Avenue and 17 Street in downtown Rock Island as soon as class gets over for the day.

“Every day, I have my book bag and all of my homework Continue reading “Revitalizing Rock Island, One Happy Customer at a Time”